Saturday, October 18, 2008

Commands of Jesus – Love God, part b


 

John 14:15 If you love Me, keep My commandments. I have been writing about the instruction from our Lord and Savior that is in John 14:15, that if we love Him, we will follow His Commands. As the elect are sinners saved by God's Grace, this instruction is meant for those who humbly understand their sinful nature and see their need of a Savior. In my October 15th post, I listed the verses showing the first half of Jesus' Commands as they deal with our relationship with God. In this post I will provide the second half of these Commands. God willing, I will provide the list of Jesus' Commands involving ourselves and our relationship with others sometime next week.


 

How do we best show our love and thankfulness to Jesus? He has made this part easy – follow His Commands (now following all of these Commands is the challenge and joy of a Christians' life.) I have assembled these 'red-letter' Commands of Jesus into two main groups – those Commands that deal with our relationship with God, and second, those Commands that deal with ourselves or others. In this Summary I am only showing the Commands in the last three (3) of the six (6) different groups of ways we are to show our love to God. For the verses dealing with the first three (3) groups, see my October 15th post. Here is a listing of all six (6) groups of verses involving Commands for the elect and our relationship with God:


 

  1. Abide in Christ;
  2. Pray/Fast/Tithe/Baptism;
  3. Believe in God;
  4. Give Special Attention To/Discern
  5. God's Importance to a Believer/Fear and Respect God/Honor God
  6. Godly Works/Produce Fruit.


 

And here are the second-half of these Commands:

  1. Give Special Attention To/Discern;

Hearing, Mt 11:15. 13:9, 43, 17:5. (after Jesus gives teaching, He says he who has ears should listen.)

Heed/Listen, Mt 6:1. 24:4. Mk +*4:24 (And he said to them, "Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you.). Lk +*8:18(Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away.). +*11:35 (Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness.). 17:3. 21:8.

Heed to instruction, Mk +*4:24. Lk +*8:18. See Heed /Listen verses.

Heed to the truth, Mt 11:15. Mk 4:9. Re 2:7.

Listen to God's Word, Lk 10:39, 42. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching.
42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

Remember, Lk 17:32 (Remember Lot's wife.). 22:19 (And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me."). Jn 15:20 (Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his master…')

Scripture to be searched and known, Mk 12:24 (Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God?). Jn +*5:39. (You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me.)

Understand prophecy, Mt 24:15. So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand)…

Understand Scripture, Lk 24:45. Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,


 

  1. God's Importance to a Believer/Fear and Respect God/Honor God;

Discipleship, Mt 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me. Mk 10:21; Lk 18:22.

Fear God, Mt 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell; . Lk 12:4, 5.

Fidelity to God, Mt 22:21. Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." 22 When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away.

Following Christ, Mt 4:19 (And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."). 8:22 (And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."). 9:9 (As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.). 16:24 (Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.).

Forsake all for Christ, Lk 14:33 (So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.).

Hallow God's name, Mt 6:9 (Lord's Prayer).

Love Christ supremely, Mt 10:37. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Love for God, Mt 22:37 (And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment.). Mk 12:30. Lk 10:27.

Holiness, Mt 5:48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Honor the Son, Jn 5:23. that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

Obedience, Mt 7:21 (Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.). Lk 6:46 (Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?). Jn 13:15, 17 (For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you… 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.)

Perfection, Mt 5:48. You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Renounce all for Christ, Lk 14:33 (So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.). 18:29, 30 (And he said to them, "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 30 who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.").

Righteousness, Mt 5:6, 20. Lk 13:24.

Surrender All, Mt 8:22 (And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."). 16:24 (Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.). Mk 10:21 (And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.").

Seeking the kingdom of God, Mt 6:33 (But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.). Lk 12:31 (Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.).

Serve God, Mt 4:10 (Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, (Deut 6:13)" 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'").

Worship God, Mt 4:10 (then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, " 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.' "). Jn 4:24 (God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."); See, Lk 4:8.


 

  1. Godly Works / Produce Fruit;

Altruistic service, Mt 20:26. Mk 9:35. 10:42-45. Lk 22:26. Jn 13:14.

Harmless as doves, to be, Mt 10:16. Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

Invest wisely (use gifts to produce fruit), Mt 25:27. Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest (Give more to God than just your own faith?)


 

Conclusion: The verses listed in Group #5 (God's Importance) above are the most convicting to me. These verses command that believers are to be 'holy', 'righteous', 'perfect', and that I am to surrender, renounce and forsake all for Christ. He is worth it. But why don't I have the heart to desire all of this? I trust that God is working in me to will and to act according to His good purpose (Phil. 2:13), but why am I not getting "there" faster? May the Lord bless and encourage us with these verses where we need blessing/encouragement, and may the Lord convict us where we need convicting, along with the discernment to understand God's voice. May God bless you this day.

No comments: