Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gastric Bypass Surgery in My Future?

Hi everyone,

It's nice to have a touch a spring here in Minnesota over the past few days. With this nicer weather it's having me think about getting out more. And with this, comes the unhappiness I have about my weight. And so, I went to an informational meeting this past week on the lap-band and Gastric Bypass surgery options. And its something that I am starting to seriosuly consider.

But food is very important to me. It's something that I enjoy, and yes, I enjoy too much. I hear that having the surgery takes away much of the desire to eat. And so, this would be a good thing. But it feels like I would be carving out a piece of my soul by having the surgery - you know, something like taking away an essential part of what makes me Tom.

I can't make a post like this without bringing in a Bible story, and this morning's reading was on Jesus' encounter with the Rich Young Ruler (Luke 18:18-30). In the story, Jesus told the Rich Young Ruler to sell everything he had and give it to the poor, knowing the man's overly strong attachment to wealth. And all I could think about from reading this is, what if Jesus told me to give up something like my devotion to eating. Would I give it up for Jesus? Could I give it up?

I'd love to hear anyone's comments on this. Thanks and may God bless you this weekend.

1 comment:

Edward Oleander said...

Hi Tom,

I would be happy to bend your ear about my experiences with the gastric surgery. You know it wasn't hugely successful, as I lost only about 50 pounds. Before I had the surgery, I spoke face-to-face with almost 40 people who had already had it. All the things they had to say, and all that I went through, are way too much to type about...

Let's indulge in our favorite pastime for either breakfast or lunch and talk about it.

The bottom line: I would recommend it for you, with qualifications.

~E~