Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Saturday in Stillwater

I am in a happy place today. I spent yesterday in Stillwater with my family, and it was a good day. Peggy and the younger three kids are now into birds. And there was a bird sale / show there yesterday. It was fun seeing the different kinds of birds that are out there. And yes, Elijah bought a parrot. Don't ask me what kind, but he is a good, loving pet owner. And so, we now have three birds which stay in the basement with Olivia and Maggie.

I really enjoy spending time in Stillwater. It's not just because they have such a fun main street where we can shop. It's not just because they have an old-fashioned candy shop (yes, I bought too many jelly-belly jelly beans). And it's not just the small town feel being on the river, with the river boats passing by, and the amazing cliffs. No, it's all of this PLUS it having wonderful book stores. I spent some time in the amazing Loome Theological Bookstore, which is a converted church. I picked up a couple of interesting books – a book on the Protestant Reformation written by a Catholic scholar. And a second book on Logic and Religion. This one has already presented me with some interesting insights which I hope to share on the Blog in weeks to come. But I am glad this store in still in business and hasn't changed its unique character, of selling older Catholic/Lutheran books that cannot be found anywhere else.

Oh yes, this is also a good day because the Gophers opened their new on-campus stadium with a victory. And it's opening weekend in NFL Football. I am once again playing Fantasy Football, and I went the homer-route: I picked Brett Favre, Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, and Visanthe Shancoe. So I am very excited about this year's football season, and I am especially excited to see what the Vikings will do this year.

Yes, I have a new Vikings jersey (Adrian Peterson's 28). I also bought a Brett Favre print, with him holding up his purple Number 4 jersey (it's beautiful). So finally, I hope this day finds you also in a good place. Take care. /s/Tom

3 comments:

Edward Oleander said...

A parrot? Really? Not a cockateil or parakeet but an actual parrot?

Please tell me you at least obtained written proof that this bird was not captured in the wild...

Edward Oleander said...

Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear about where the bird was born. If it came from the wild, I will be quite vexed.

~E~

tom wolff said...

No, no, no. This is a couple who breeds several different kinds of birds. They don't buy from birds and then import them. The are in small town, Minnesota, and not one of the big bird buying operations. Sheesh!