Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Majesty of God

Hi, this week our study group finished reading Pastor Francis Chan's book entitled 'Forgotten God'. However, at the end of the book, he provides the first chapter of another book he has written entitled 'Crazy Love', and I thought this first chapter was great. See if you agree with me. Here is a small portion from the first chapter of Pastor Chan's 'Crazy Love':

Let's begin this book by gazing at God in silence (the chapter's name is 'Stop Praying'). What I want you to do right now is to go online and look at the Awe Factor video (video here: How big are you?) to get a taste of the awe factor of our God. Seriously – go do it.

Speechless? Amazed? Humbled?

When I first saw those images, I had to worship. I didn't want to speak or share it with anyone. I just want to sit quietly and admire the Creator.

It's wild to think that most of these galaxies have been discovered only in the past few years, thanks to the Hubble telescope. They've been in the universe for thousands of years without humans even knowing about them.

Why would God create more than 350,000,000,000 galaxies (and this is a conservative estimate) that generations of people never saw or even knew existed? Do you think maybe it was to make us say, "Wow, God is unfathomably big"? Or perhaps God wanted us to see these pictures so that our response would be, "Who do I think I am?"… (Pastor Francis Chan, portion of chapter 1 – Stop Praying, from his book "Crazy Love').

If you want more here is his Youtube video Chapter 1 of 'Crazy Love', video – Stop Praying.

When I think of the majesty of God, I think of what Isaiah wrote in Isaiah 6:1-7. It's a great scene, Isaiah sees God, and the Seraphim praising Him: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts. And the temple shakes at the mere words He speaks. And what is Isaiah's response? He trembles at his own unworthiness, as he knows his sinfulness will cause him to die on the spot at seeing God. It's a great visual picture for me that I sometimes use when praying. I like the way Pastor Chan draws me back to humbly think of the majesty of God, and His greatness, and His glory when I think of Him. This first chapter has more, and perhaps next week I will share more from this chapter.

May the Majestic Lord, the Creator, the Lord of hosts, bless you this week. /s/Tom

No comments: